I’m working until eight tomorrow, which is par for the course on a Tuesday, and frankly is probably the best thing for my mental health, since I’ll be able to keep myself busy (vacuum ALL THE THINGS!!) and hopefully won’t be able to stress about the election. By the time I get home I expect to know who my new governor and senator and representatives are. I will be liveblogging from basically the second I’m able to get in front of the TV until I can’t keep my eyes open any longer or I decide to kill myself, whichever comes first.
Until then, some thoughts:
- Do not panic.
- No, really. Do not panic.
- This is a nation of 350 million people and many millions of them will be voting tomorrow. Note that shit is going to go wrong somewhere. Many somewheres, in fact. Try not to draw conclusions and connect dots where there shouldn’t be connected dots. For example:
- Someone, somewhere, is going to lose a box of ballots that won’t be found until late. Chances are the reason will be incompetence and not malfeasance.
- Someone, somewhere, is going to be denied a vote who should not have been. In fact, probably several someones. This is regrettable but is also unavoidable. Again: 350,000,000 people. Mistakes are going to be made.
- Some people are going to try to vote twice. Some of them will be doing it for relatively legitimate reasons! Most of them will be caught. A very small number may slip by.
- Someone will stand outside a polling place somewhere with a gun. There will be reports of voter intimidation. These will, by and large, be isolated incidents and chances are they will have been dealt with by local authorities well before you ever hear of them. They are not likely to be evidence of either the KKK or the Black Panthers trying to sway the election.
- There will probably be some violence somewhere. Part of the reason for that is that this is America and there is always some violence somewhere. Chances are by the time all the details get sorted out it will be run-of-the-mill violence and not an attempt at voter suppression. Again, do not panic.
- There will be early reports that are pro Your Candidate and early reports that are not pro Your Candidate. Take them with salt. Early reports are rarely worth the electrons beaming them into your eyes.
- Donald Trump has no campaign and no ground game. Hillary Clinton has the same GOTV operation that got a black guy whose middle name was Hussein elected TWICE. #expectus, motherfuckers.
- I expect Clinton to get at least 325 electoral votes. I expect the Dems to take the Senate as well. Sadly, I think Indiana going blue is unlikely, but still not impossible.
- Go fucking vote. Stand in line as long as you need to.
One more time, in case you still need it:
2 thoughts on “A few potentially useful reminders regarding tomorrow’s events”
How is voting twice considered a relatively legitimate reason? We’ve had a federal election here that at the time reminded me of the song that went: ‘between the devil and the deep blue sea.’ I’d like to wish you guys luck tomorrow, but that song keeps running around in my head.
I said “tried to.” I can imagine a universe where someone forgets they voted absentee or thinks their vote got lost in the mail or tries to vote at the wrong precinct first and casts a provisional and then goes to their real polling place, etc etc etc.
LikeLiked by 1 person
Comments are closed.