Still so much to read, although I think this is lighter than last month. But I have a beta read and an ARC to get to before this gets any smaller.
Today was a very special day. Nearly everything that happened today was annoying, but nothing was, like, really annoying, and even taken in the aggregate complaining about my day seems really whiny, even after adjusting for “this is my blog and you’re reading it for free.” It was the kind of annoying day where complaining about all the annoying things that happened is just going to make me seem kinda hateful and grouchy.
I’mma do it anyway.
- Today was a day with no students, so I stopped to grab breakfast at McDonald’s, a minor tradition. I pulled in to the incredibly exciting sight of no line at the drive-thru only to discover that they were so understaffed inside that it still took fifteen minutes to get my food.
- And they got my order wrong, giving me chicken McGriddles instead of my requested McChicken Biscuits; this ordinarily would not be much of a problem, except
- every time I have McGriddles my nose sweats maple syrup for the rest of the fucking day, and since I was at work I had no access to proper face-washing tools or my toothbrush.
- When I got to my classroom, I pulled my keys out of my pocket, then tried to use the remote for my car to unlock my classroom door, then stood there like an idiot for a few moments wondering why my door wouldn’t unlock.
- I didn’t get the email with the Zoom link for the training we were supposed to be doing today, so I was ten minutes late to my meeting, with a pit-stop in the wrong meeting along the way;
- The meeting itself was (predictably) boring as hell;
- My classroom was the exact wrong temperature– too cold to not have a hoodie on, too hot to be wearing a hoodie.
- I tried out the new porn salad place (I’m not explaining, roll with it) and the salad was actually really good except for the bacon being way too salty. Like, way too salty.
- I have never in my life experienced overly-salted bacon before today.
- Yes, my salad featured bacon, shut up
- I did not win teacher of the year
- I got done with everything I had to do today, including my training, an hour before school ended and then got weirdly shy about ducking out early (note that “go when your shit is done” has always been an unwritten rule in this building when the kids aren’t around) so I spent an hour literally just sitting in my chair watching YouTube on my laptop
- Picking out plastic cups at Target on the way home was way more annoying of a chore than it should have been;
- I ended up also having to go to Walgreen’s because I needed candy bars for some of my kids and Target didn’t have one of the candy bars the kids requested, so a whole other trip was necessary
- I got home to discover my wife had made tortellini soup for dinner, which is normally a wonderful thing as it’s one of my favorite foods, except now my nose is sweating garlic instead of maple syrup and I never want to eat again;
- I ordered a fidget ring hoping it would help me curb my disgusting habit of picking at the tips of my fingers. It arrived today and it is exactly 87% of what I wanted it to be but that 13% may make it unusable;
- My son got his second Covid shot today at 6:30, and I don’t know if you’ve noticed this fucking “fall back” daylight savings time bullshit but leaving the house after 5 PM nowadays feels like leaving the house at midnight, because it was fuckdark and snowing outside;
- Twitter is being dumb again.
- I have forgotten something, and whatever I have forgotten was something funny.
I think I’m probably okay with considering today the last day of my break, seeing as how technically I do have to go to work tomorrow, but there will be no children there and we are just in training all day, and I’m pretty sure the day is ending early anyway. I got some grading and planning done today, and I’m not kvetching and Sundaying yet, but it’s only 7:30 and that word “yet” is kinda important.
Four days, five days, four days. Then Winter Break. Take ’em one day at a time and everything will be fine, right?
I am forty pages into Annie Proulx’s Barkskins, which is the duly designated novelistic representative of the great state of Wyoming, meaning that I have completed my goal of reading one book from each of the 50 US States, with Puerto Rico and Washington D.C. thrown in for shits and giggles. I’m currently at 39 different countries, a metric I intend to continue to pay attention to for a bit, as I’m still enjoying it, but I have to admit I’m glad to have this particular reading goal in the rear-view mirror. Barkskins is a bit of a doorstopper at 700+ pages, but based on the beginning of the book I think it’ll be a pretty quick and enjoyable read for all that, and once I finish it I have a beta read that I’ve been sitting on (for much too long) for a friend and an ARC to read and review, and then I can move into 2022’s project, which is to read whatever the fuck I want for a year and not worry about the details at all. I’ve had fun with my reading projects for the last several years and I’m sure I’ll revisit the idea again in the future but I want this year to be less about hitting a metric of some sort.
If you’re curious, here’s the list. Hopefully it doesn’t look too heinous outside the editor:
|Archaeology from Space||Parcak, Sarah||2/13/21||2/14/21||US/Alabama|
|The Raven’s Gift||Rearden, Don||5/13/21||5/15/21||US/Alaska|
|Son of the Storm||Okungbowa, Suyi Davies||6/26/21||7/2/21||US/Arizona|
|True Grit||Portis, Charles||11/7/21||11/7/21||US/Arkansas|
|The Future of Another TImeline||Newitz, Annalee||5/9/21||5/13/21||US/California|
|The Hill We Climb||Gorman, Amanda||5/30/21||5/30/21||US/California|
|The Hidden Palace||Wecker, Helene||7/12/21||7/18/21||US/California|
|Savage Bounty||Wallace, Matt||7/20/21||7/24/21||US/California|
|Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas||Thompson, Hunter||6/10/21||6/10/21||US/Colorado|
|Rebel Sisters||Onyebuchi, Tochi||2/20/21||2/23/21||US/Connecticut|
|The Book of Unknown Americans||Henriquez, Cristina||10/24/21||10/26/21||US/Delaware|
|Robbing the Bees||Bishop, Holley||10/22/21||10/24/21||US/Florida|
|Treason of Hawks||Bowen, Lila||9/4/21||9/6/21||US/Georgia|
|Sharks in a Time of Saviors||Washburn, Kawai Strong||6/24/21||6/26/21||US/Hawai’i|
|The Queen of Gilded Horns||Joy, Amanda||4/19/21||4/23/21||US/Illinois|
|Hood Feminism||Kendall, Mikki||5/23/21||5/26/21||US/Illinois|
|Rise to the Sun||Johnson, Leah||7/24/21||7/25/21||US/Indiana|
|Nubia: Real One||McKinney, L.L.||2/26/2021||2/21/21||US/Kansas|
|Narrative of the Life of Henry Bibb, an American Slave, Written by Himself||Bibb, Henry||10/17/21||10/18/21||US/Kentucky|
|Into the Dark||Gray, Claudia||6/17/21||6/18/21||US/Louisiana|
|Billy Summers||King, Stephen||8/10/21||8/14/21||US/Maine|
|First, Become Ashes||Szpara, K.M.||7/2/21||7/3/12||US/Maryland|
|How the Word is Passed||Smith III, Clint||9/16/21||9/18/21||US/Maryland|
|The Lightning Thief||Riordan, Rick||12/29/20||12/31/20||US/Massachusetts|
|A Queer History of the United States||Bronski, Michael||1/17/21||1/22/21||US/Massachusetts|
|Unknown Man #89||Leonard, Elmore||5/19/21||5/23/21||US/Michigan|
|John Crow’s Devil||James, Marlon||8/18/21||8/20/21||US/Minnesota|
|Concrete Rose||Thomas, Angie||2/27/2021||2/27/21||US/Mississippi|
|The Puppet Masters||Heinlein, Robert||10/12/21||10/15/21||US/Missouri|
|An Absolutely Remarkable Thing||Green, Hank||2/7/21||2/8/21||US/Montana|
|The Meaning of Names||Shoemaker, Karen Gettert||11/7/21||11/10/21||US/Nebraska|
|The Necessary Beggar||Palwick, Susan||11/23/21||11/25/21||US/Nevada|
|The Hotel New Hampshire||Irving, John||10/31/21||11/7/21||US/New Hampshire|
|The Empire of Gold||Chakraborty, S.A.||7/26/21||8/4/21||US/New Jersey|
|The Assassination of Fred Hampton||Haas, Jeffrey||6/3/21||6/4/21||US/New Mexico|
|The Traitor Baru Cormorant||Dickinson, Seth||1/10/21||1/14/21||US/New York|
|The Monster Baru Cormorant||Dickinson, Seth||1/22/21||1/27/21||US/New York|
|The Tyrant Baru Cormorant||Dickinson, Seth||1/30/21||2/6/21||US/New York|
|Light of the Jedi||Soule, Charles||2/6/21||2/7/21||US/New York|
|The Dead are Arising: The Life of Malcolm X||Payne, Les & Tamara||3/17/21||3/21/21||US/New York|
|The Girl in the Road||Byrne, Monica||2/11/21||2/13/21||US/North Carolina|
|Queen of the Unwanted||Glass, Jenna||10/4/21||10/10/21||US/North Carolina|
|The Haunted Mesa||L’Amour, Louis||9/2/21||9/4/21||US/North Dakota|
|African Samurai||Lockley, Thomas & Girard, Geoffrey||6/5/21||6/8/21||US/Ohio|
|Cemetery Boys||Thomas, Aiden||1/4/21||1/9/21||US/Oregon|
|Jade Legacy||Lee, Fonda||8/4/21||8/10/11||US/Oregon|
|A Court of Thorns and Roses||Maas, Sarah||5/5/21||5/9/21||US/Pennsylvania|
|The Book of Accidents||Wendig, Chuck||8/21/21||8/24/21||US/Pennsylvania|
|When I Was Puerto Rican||Santiago, Esmeralda||11/25/21||11/26/21||US/Puerto Rico|
|The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories||Lovecraft, H.P.||10/31/21||10/31/21||US/Rhode Island|
|Bastard out of Carolina||Allison, Dorothy||10/2/21||10/4/21||US/South Carolina|
|Parasites Like Us||Johnson, Adam||11/17/21||11/18/21||US/South Dakota|
|Crush the King||Estep, Jennifer||3/10/2021||3/13/21||US/Tennessee|
|Ash and Quill||Caine, Rachel||12/26/20||12/29/20||US/Texas|
|Smoke and Iron||Caine, Rachel||2/24/2021||2/27/21||US/Texas|
|Pen and Sword||Caine, Rachel||3/31/21||4/2/21||US/Texas|
|Persephone Station||Leicht, Stina||5/15/21||5/18/21||US/Texas|
|Wings of Ebony||Elle, J.||6/22/21||6/24/21||US/Texas|
|Escaping Exodus: Symbiosis||Drayden, Nicki||7/8/21||7/12/21||US/Texas|
|Heartbreak Bay||Caine, Rachel||7/19/21||7/20/21||US/Texas|
|Open Season||Mayor, Archer||10/10/21||10/12/21||US/Vermont|
|The House on the Cerulean Sea||Klune, TJ||6/8/21||6/10/21||US/Virginia|
|Across the Green Grass Fields||McGuire, Seanan||1/29/21||1/30/21||US/Washington|
|Calculated Risks||Mcguire, Seanan||4/11/21||4/16/21||US/Washington|
|A Promised Land||Obama, Barack||5/30/21||6/3/21||US/Washington DC|
|The Unquiet Earth||Giardina, Denise||10/15/21||10/17/21||US/West Virginia|
|When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain||Vo, Nghi||1/27/21||1/27/21||US/Wisconsin|
|The Speaker for the Dead||Addison, Katherine||10/18/21||10/21/21||US/Wisconsin|
…Unfortunately, refraining from any Black Friday-related shenanigans is apparently all I had the willpower for, so I’m taking the night off. I’ve been lethargic and bleh all day today, so I’m going to screw around on the PS5 for a bit and go to bed early.