If you’ve been reading this blog for way too long, you may remember the Terrible Decisions series, in which my wife and I decided to redo our bathroom. That process led to a (if I don’t mind saying so) good job re-tiling our shower, and then… stalled.
She has the week off. We are unstalling.
Goodbye, wax ring! Now, the raggedy hole in the wall there is the reason this entire nightmare project got started in the first place: we had a leak behind the tile, and the water was running down the side of the tub and basically turned that corner of the drywall into mud. (I just spent ten minutes looking; I posted a picture of it at one point but hell if I can find it.)
That one simple thing– ripping that piece out– turned into a full-bathroom renovation. Which we WILL FINISH this week because if we don’t we only have one toilet and I will not live in a house with one toilet. At any rate: I cut out the diseased part of the wall, carefully avoiding cutting a hole in the stack and thus necessitating what would probably be thousands of dollars in repair costs.
Yes, I know this is cement board, not drywall, and you’re not supposed to use cement board in place of drywall. However! It’s also in the same spot as the bad part of the wall. If we end up with the same leaking problem in the future, I want it leaking into cement board, which is going to be RedGarded and thus a lot more waterproof. This part of the wall will be behind the toilet anyway and so the minor difference in texture shouldn’t be too noticeable.