So today’s my first real day of summer vacation, or at least I’m counting it as such– I suppose I could have counted Friday but I had all kinds of shit to do and the boy started his summer camp today so let’s say it was today.
I am, therefore, at the same place I’m always at whenever summertime starts: looking at something like seven or eight weeks off before school starts to ramp up again and pretending that I’m gonna be super efficient with all that extra time and Make My Summer Count.
Let’s take a moment and just contemplate the pure American-ness of being given time off and immediately feeling guilt that I, in the future, won’t spend it working hard enough, and mourn our deeply stupid culture.
But anyway. This is the first summer in a very long time that I haven’t actually had a job. Since the summer The Sanctum of the Sphere was written, I think, and technically I did have a part-time job that summer so this may be the first genuinely job-free summer since early in high school.
So, therefore, knowing that my one real responsibility all summer long during the weekdays will be to get the boy to his summer camp and pick him up a few hours later, I would like to do each or at least most of the following things every day until school starts again, excepting weekends and major holidays:
- Eat something vaguely resembling breakfast;
- Write a blog post;
- Write a minimum of 500 words fiction and preferably 1500;
- Be showered and dressed by 10 AM, if not before I take the boy to camp;
- Once a week, at least, put something on Patreon, preferably a microfiction or excerpt from item #3 up there;
- Play video games (yes, I have to schedule this);
- Clean and/or organize and/or maintain something;
- Move around a bit somehow so I don’t gain 300 pounds in the next two months;
- Spend an hour reading, and time before bed doesn’t count.
So far today I have done all but three of those things, and I’m betting you can guess which three if you’ve been around here for more than a couple of weeks.
I want a new book ready by Kokomo-Con X in October. And unlike my last several I want to launch this one right. That’s only gonna work if I get to work now.
Anybody wanna take bets? Let’s take bets.