No overarching theme today, just a few random bits and bobs that are on my mind. Hooray for Tuesday!
- I’m on Day Three of The Week of Single Daddery, and it’s going great. It took less than 12 hours of my wife being gone before I stepped in a pile of warm dogshit in my hallway, left there by a dog that had been let outside less than half an hour previously. It was early in the morning and I was barefoot. Because of course I was. Last night, my not-quite-seven-year-old son took a shit that was, I swear I am not exaggerating, the size of my fist in our main bathroom. I heard him flush but did not realize at the time that the shit was too big to flush, and we have one of those toilets that claims to be able to pass a couple dozen golf balls without trouble. I had to cut that fucking piece of shit up with a plastic knife this morning to get it to flush, and it was actually kinda difficult to saw through. My wife can come home anytime she wants.
- Also, he wet the bed the night before last. Parenting in general has just been wonderful lately.
- I watched Hannah Gadsby’s Netflix special, Nanette, last night. It is getting more and more true that the reason to subscribe to Netflix is their original programming, guys. If you read me on a regular basis you have probably seen recommendations for this special in the same places I have, and let me echo them: this is an important piece of work, and you should absolutely make sure to watch it. I’m not going to talk about it in much detail because I kind of wish I had gone in blind, and if you’re able to watch this special without knowing anything other than Luther Siler says I need to watch this, please go do so.
- So this just happened:
- I signed up for an all-day training for NewJob tomorrow, and I’ve already seen several signs that I’m not going to enjoy it very much. On the one hand, it’s a $100 stipend, and I just found out when my first paycheck is going to be and the end of August and the beginning of September are gonna be scary, and on the other hand I have other things I would rather be doing tomorrow and it’s not like that $100 is going to come early. I got an email yesterday about a two-hour pre-workshop homework thing they want me to do. I have shit to do today. I’m not super interested in two hours of homework, especially for a pedagogical technique that as near as I can tell will not work at all with kids who won’t do homework. I am tempted to show up without doing any of mine and asking the trainer what she thinks should be done about me. Or I could just cancel. Who knows?
- I spent most of yesterday rereading the early manuscript for Sunlight. What I have written is actually pretty damn good, I think. And I’m getting closer and closer to getting the overarching plot issues sorted out so that I can avoid Middle Book Syndrome. It’s coming! I swear! Eventually!
- I beat Dark Souls Remastered a few weeks ago, and have been replaying through Bloodborne since then. I’m doing a lot better than the first time I played through; I never managed to beat Martyr Logarius on my first playthrough and I clobbered his ass on my first try this time. I’m up to the second to last boss, who beat me several times yesterday. I’ll get him today, dammit, then it’s on to another shot at either 2 or 3, neither of which have I beaten. I love this series, but it took several games before I actually got halfway good at it.
- I had a free consultation at a local LASIK clinic this morning. LASIK is way less expensive than I had thought, and it turns out I’m a more or less perfect candidate for it. I’m broke as hell right now, mind you, but I think this is something that is probably on my agenda for next summer. Time to start socking money away.
More later, maybe, if I come up with anything else I want to talk about today.