There are so many possible options. Could it be…
- My foot flying out from underneath me on literally my first step out of my car when trying to go into work this morning?
- The not-one-not-two-but-three teachers who grabbed me and asked me for help and/or favors before I managed to take my goddamn coat off once I got in the building?
- Babysitting a room full of deeply obnoxious 8th graders with no lesson plans of any kind during homeroom and first hour?
- Returning a computer to a kid for something like the tenth or eleventh time in the last few weeks and catching myself just before telling him that if he lost it again I’d be making sure he couldn’t lose it again by shoving it sideways up his ass the next time I returned it?
- The ten different kids– I counted– who came to bother me about charging their computers during second and third hour, which is about five times the normal number?
- My terrible decision to go to Panda Express for lunch?
- The two hours this afternoon where my right leg decided it didn’t need to be a leg anymore, probably courtesy of item #1?
- Realizing that I’d been so busy over the course of the day that I’d manage to accumulate forty-five emails that I needed to read or respond to, most before going home?
- Realizing that the “upgrade” to an essential part of our district’s content monitoring strategy, which hasn’t worked since late December and had just been pronounced “fixed,” was not only not fixed but might have been actually downgraded, and having to explain that to half a dozen angry teachers in half a dozen separate conversations?
- The general, ongoing feeling of “none of this shit is my fault at all and I’m trying to be as gentle with y’all as I can possibly be while I’m explaining that I know that everything is still fucked and I can’t fix it but I’m starting to reach the point where I’mma snap off on the next person who looks at me sideways about this”?
- Accidentally sticking my foot into a disciplinary issue with literally 20 minutes left in the school day and emailing another staff member to say “I’m not doing shit about this because I’m tired but you can if you want to”?
- The vague realization that Friday, at least, promises to be way worse than today was, and tomorrow’s got pretty heavy bullshit potential too?
Right now I think it’s probably the leg, but there’s still like five hours left in the day before I’m going to be in bed.