So this came out yesterday, luckily just in time for me to catch it during my last-minute Twitter readthrough on my phone before going into work Friday morning.
This is a thing I do, by the way. My son has to be at school quite a bit before I do. Every morning I take him to school, go to McDonald’s, get a Sausage McMuffin with cheese and a large coffee with five cream and five sugar, then drive to work and sit in the parking lot and surf my phone and eat my McMuffin. I am weirdly invested in the idea that I don’t just get out of my car and go to work just because I’ve arrived at work. I decide that it’s time to go into work. It’s an active choice. It’s a weirdly empowering thing.
Anyway, I watched this twice on my phone and then went inside, somewhat surprised that I wasn’t as buzzed as I thought I’d be. I mean, part of it is the tone; it’s hard to get super excited about a trailer that is so clearly deliberately designed to be a downer. But in some ways this is the only trailer they can actually make right now– this has got to be the hardest movie to do early promotion for ever, because so damn much about it counts as a spoiler, and even just showing most of the characters on screen is going to reveal substantial things about the movie that the filmmakers clearly don’t want us to know.
I note a couple of things that intrigue me:
- Clearly there’s a timeskip. If Civil War was “years” ago, there was a timeskip. I know we all suspect time travel is going to be a part of this movie, but I love the idea that we’re going to even temporarily see what the world is like after the Snappening.
- Thanos is limping and missing most of his pinky finger.
- I want to see Shuri as the Black Panther.
- There’s some griping online about the subtitle? I dunno why. It’s fine.
- So, do you think that Pepper Potts is going to be suiting up as Rescue and collecting Tony, or is this where they introduce Captain Marvel?
Don’t get me wrong. I’m still hugely excited about this movie. There’s little that’s going to change that. I’m just not bouncing off the walls about the trailer like I thought I would.
Now now now now now NOW NOW NOW GODDAMMIT NOW
So, yeah. I’ve clearly got some enthusiasm left in me somewhere.