I like this song way more than I ought to, and my wife really hates it, so of course I’m gonna make y’all listen to it too.
I got home from work at about 2:30 after a nearly three-hour “lunch meeting” on the last day before Winter Break officially kicked in, and I’ve spent most of the time since then in my recliner with a book in my hand. (Which has finally gotten interesting; I was on the verge of abandoning a Tana French novel, the very concept of which hurts my heart.)
I am trying to decide if I want this to be a Winter Break of Great Accomplishment or a Winter Break of I Sat Around And Read Books And Played Video Games. Right now it could go either way. And both would be a perfectly valid way to spend the next two weeks.
Also, I keep looking at that picture of myself I posted yesterday and reflecting on how much I’ve fallen apart physically since 2004. I need to get out of this mood or I’ll end up making New Year’s Resolutions, and those are always to be avoided by sensible people.
Today was pretty much a Day of Dreadful Meetings from start to finish, mostly of either the I Can’t Talk About It or I Don’t Wanna Talk About It variety, and the bits that weren’t Dreadful Meetings were mostly Unwise Acts Leading to Expulsions. I am pretty sure that my building put more kids up for expulsion today alone than most schools do in a semester, if not a year.
So it was kinda a rough day, and yesterday was a rough day, and Monday and Tuesday weren’t exactly great, and fuck it tomorrow’s payday and then I’ll have survived my first five-day week in a while so bring it on Friday, I ain’t skurred.
Hopefully at some point in the next couple of days I’ll find something worth writing about. Because it ain’t been happening much this week.
Let’s see. Here’s what’s going on lately:
- I’m trying to 100% Spider-Man PS4, which has mostly meant letting the boy take over every now and again so he can go catch criminals;
- I’m losing steam on Red Dead Redemption 2, which is suffering from a not-moving-fast-enough main story and way too much to do in the rest of the game, leading to option paralysis;
- I’m rereading the Broken Earth books by N.K. Jemisin, which continue to be awesome, and are in fact better now that I’m rereading/binging them;
- I have heard that we get both a Captain Marvel and an Avengers 4 trailer this week, which … well, prepare for enthusiasm on my part about that;
- I had a dream last night about The Goddamn Skylights Sequel, where someone else wrote it for me and published it and it was OK for me to take all the credit;
- I am starting to think about the annual 10 Best New(*) Books I Read This Year post, and kind of wish I had thought to do a 10 Best New(*) Books I Read From 2013-2018 post last year, when it would have been a nice even five years. Maybe I’ll do that this year for the past six.
- I need about 5000 pageviews in December to have had more blog traffic than last year. That ought to be a very achievable number the way things have been going lately so long as traffic doesn’t crater too hard around Christmas.
- Work is fine, but I have way too many meetings coming in the next couple of weeks and I’m not remotely prepared for the one I have tomorrow. Hopefully there’s going to be a way to compress the schedule for the pre-meeting training (yeah, that’s a thing) that I looked at once and abandoned once I realized how many 20-minute videos they wanted me to watch.
- The fastest way to get me to abandon doing anything is to expect me to watch videos of any length at all, by the way, and I can’t believe people don’t realize that. I can’t speed up a video and I don’t have 17 uninterruptible minutes right now, so you go to hell and I’m not gonna watch any of it.
- I’m working on doubling my Twitter following. 20K or bust!
- I discovered today, in the process of reading about and laughing at Tumblr’s decision to set itself on fire on the 17th, that I still have a Tumblr. So I fiddled around on Tumblr for a while. I still don’t know what the hell Tumblr is.
None of that was worth a post on its own, but hopefully all together there was something interesting in there. What’s going on in your end of the world?
Got no sleep at all last night, to the point where I called in sick today, and have spent the entire day feeling like roasted hell. So not a whole lot to say right now. Anybody have anything fun to share?
NEXT DAY EDIT: Can you tell I wrote this on my phone? The post title has had an autocorrect typo in it for 24 hours and I just noticed. 🙂